Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bhujangasana

Bhujangasana is also known as The Cobra Pose. This is a posture of Hatha Yoga.

The Name Bhujangasana, comes from the combination of 2 words from the Sanskrit Language i.e. Bhujanga – Meaning Serpent and Asana – meaning Pose.

This is a very good asana / posture for resolving back problems. It helps to strengthen chest, abdomen, shoulders, helps to firm the buttocks. More importantly, helps to relieve stress.
Bhujangasana increases body heat, destroys disease, and awakens kundalini.

How to do Bhujangasana?
Here is a step by step guide on how to do Bhujangasana..
1.Lie on the floor - back up. Stretch your legs back, tops of the feet on the floor. Spread your hands on the floor under your shoulders. Hug the elbows back into your body.
2.Press the top of the feet and thighs and the pubis firmly on the floor.
3.On inhalation, begin to straighten the arms to lift the chest off the floor, going only to the height at which you can maintain a connection through your pubis to your legs.

4.Press the tailbone toward the pubis and lift the pubis toward the navel.
5.Narrow the hip points. Firm but don't harden the buttocks.
6.Firm the shoulder against the back, puffing the side ribs forward. Lift through the top of the sternum but avoid pushing the front ribs forward, which only hardens the lower back.
7.Distribute the backbend evenly throughout the entire spine.
8.Hold the pose for 15 to 30 seconds, breath easily. Release back to the floor with an exhalation.

Benefits of Bhujangasana:
1.Bhujangasana affects the adrenal glands, by supplying them more blood.
2.Helps to tone uterus, liver & ovaries
3.Helps to strengthen back muscles, abdomen and upper body.
4.Helps people facing problems of back ache due to overwork or long hours of standing.
5.Helps to control menstrual irregularities.
6.Relieves constipation.
7.Relieves gastro-intestinal problems.

3 comments:

glucosamine said...

Doing Yoga on regular basis will help you a lot to maintain physical as well as mental health. No need to take pills.

Unknown said...

Good to have the reliable post on Bhujangasana known to be a cobra pose. This will help to get relief from health problems in an essential way, Thanks a lot.

Rakib said...

It's been just a year since I started practicing, so it's still early to give you a convincing answer about its benefits. I'm going to tell you which ones I've experienced in case they help you decide to practice^^
I started practicing yoga because I had chronic pain in my neck and arm that, as soon as it continued, it was going to cost me to be able to continue working. It was yoga and not any other sport because my physical condition was terrible, and I didn't see myself in a gym or running in the fields. So I tried a class and left super bummed out but at the same time I felt good. Discouraged because I found it totally boring and my body couldn't perform almost any posture, but since I felt good, I still paid for a full month. After a month practicing 3 hours a week in hour and a half classes, the pain had disappeared most of the time. I still didn't like it, but I continued.
A year later I am in the best physical shape of my life. My neck does not hurt, I sleep very well and some moments of anxiety that I had been dragging along for a long time have almost disappeared. My periods are less painful and I haven't gotten even a cold in all this time.
I have also noticed the benefits on a psychic level. You regain “patience”, so to speak, both with yourself and with others, without even realizing it. And you learn to give each thing its time. There are no "lifehacks" for everything.
Visit my: blog